In the News
Tourism Marketing Manager in Vientiane Capital, Laos for a placement period of twelve (12) months
The Objective of the Role:
The Champasak Tourism Business Promotion (CTBP) project will end its first phase in December 2016 and will enter the second phase under the umbrella of a regional Mekong Inclusive Growth and Innovation Program (MIGIP-T), which has a specific focus on tourism destination management in Southern Laos and Southern Cambodia.
MIGIP-T is in particular need for three specific advisory profiles (as Cuso International volunteers) in order to institutionalize results achieved so far and in order to up-scale positive results further throughout Laos. This placement is one of those three roles.
1. Tourism Marketing Advisor (THIS PLACEMENT): With the winning of the PATA CEO Award, Southern Laos has also won a digital marketing campaign from TripAdvisor valued at USD 0.5 Mio. In order to optimally support work of this campaign on the ground and accompany local stakeholders, an international tourism marketing professional with particular expertise in digital marketing is required.
2. Tourism entrepreneurship (and investment promotion) Advisor
3. Destination Management Network Advisor
- Liaise with Southern Laos digital marketing support company Digital Monkey and support implementation of strategy on the ground in Southern Laos
- Liaise with TripAdvisor and support implementation of digital marketing campaign on the ground in Southern Laos
- Facilitate meetings of the Southern Laos marketing task force and support them in the implementation of the overall destination marketing plan
- Organize fam trip (Familiarization Trips) for travel writers and bloggers in Southern Laos
- Develop content for Southern Laos and actively place content in different journals, airline in-flight magazines, blogs, etc.
- Contribute to Cuso International's VOICE project (Volunteers for International Cooperation and Empowerment) broader strategy implementation and identify measures to address gender and inclusion within the placement. VOICE is particularly concerned with gender equality between men and women, women’s economic and social empowerment, the inclusion of indigenous minority groups, prospects for underemployed youth and development prospects for disadvantaged rural communities in Laos.
Requirements needed for the Tourism Marketing Advisor opportunity:
- Degree (preferably Masters) in Tourism Marketing, Tourism Management or Marketing
- Work experience related to marketing in the tourism industry
- Strong command and understanding of social media and digital marketing tools
- Experience of working with private sector partners
- Track record in capacity building and advisory
- Strong IT skills
- Good understanding of standard project cycle management tools and methods
- Other helpful education and experience backgrounds would include:
- Qualifications in digital marketing and social media
- Work experience in the marketing of tourism destinations
- Experience in public-private collaboration
- Experience in working in developing countries
The Benefits of Volunteering with Cuso International:
Cuso International will help you with and provide you with the following for your placement…
- Return airfare and visa/permit costs
- Accommodation while overseas
- A modest living allowance during your placement
- Modest support for an accompanying partner and dependants who accompany you for placements of twelve (12) months or more
- Any costs related to required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program during your placement period and upon your return home
- Your travel and accommodation costs for Cuso International’s re-integration weekend
About Cuso International:
Cuso International is a development organization that works to reduce poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships and compassionate donors. They envision a world where all people are able to realize their potential, develop their skills and participate fully in society. They believe in the power of people, value diversity and take responsibility for their actions and proactively demonstrate that they work with and on behalf of others. Cuso International works in developing countries across the world and currently has programs in eighteen countries.
Other Important Information:
Only open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
For more information about the role and the partner organization, please visit Cuso International’s “Current Placements” job board and view the individual posting for this role, or click on the URL included in this posting if present.
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, the volunteer might be required to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement.
If You Are Interested, We Want To Hear From You:
To apply for this position, please visit http://www.cusointernational.org and click on the 'Volunteer' tab, then the 'Current Placements' to apply directly.