In the News
Psychosocial Disability Advisor
The Importance of the Role:
Working closely with Cuso partner, PREPACE, provide excellent quality care and warmth to people living in disability and/or special educational needs primarily with neuro-motor disorders and their families through programs, services and innovative projects aimed at achieving sustainability and self-management.
The Objective of the Role:
This purpose of this placement is to increase the knowledge and improve the quality of services offered by our partner in Honduras, PREPACE, to people with psychosocial disability.
- Research the current situation: information available, statistics, services offered, capacity to support people with psychosocial disability
- Develop strategic plan to improve services offered by PREPACE and create strategic alliances to improve the situation of people with psychosocial disability
- Contribute to awareness-raising campaigns
- Assessment of current capacity of PREPACE staff and develop an action plan.
Requirements needed for the Psychosocial Disability Advisor role are:
- University degree in social science, psychology, international development and/or equivalent experience in a related field
- Knowledge of issues related to psychosocial disability
- Understanding of inclusive participatory approaches, amongst a variety of stakeholders, including gender sensitive methods
- Demonstrated experience of working in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams
Other helpful education and experience backgrounds would include:
- A Master’s degree and/or equivalent experience
- Experience in working with people with psychosocial disability
- Ability to work as a team player in group settings
- Capacity for critical analysis
- Experience in the education sector
The Benefits of Volunteering with Cuso International:
Cuso International will help you with and provide you with the following for your placement.
- Return airfare and visa/permit costs
- Accommodation while overseas
- A modest living allowance during your placement
- Modest support for an accompanying partner and dependants who accompany you for placements of twelve (12) months or more
- Any costs related to required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program during your placement period and upon your return home
- Your travel and accommodation costs for Cuso International’s re-integration weekend
About Cuso International:
Cuso International is a development organization that works to reduce poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships and compassionate donors. They envision a world where all people are able to realize their potential, develop their skills and participate fully in society. They believe in the power of people, value diversity and take responsibility for their actions and proactively demonstrate that they work with and on behalf of others. Cuso International works in developing countries across the world and currently has programs in eighteen countries.
Other Important Information:
Only open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
For more information about the role and the partner organization, please visit Cuso International’s “Current Placements” job board and view the individual posting for this role, or click on the URL included in this posting if present.
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, the volunteer might be required to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement.
If You Are Interested, We Want To Hear From You:
To apply for this position, please visit http://www.cusointernational.org and click on the 'Volunteer' tab, then the 'Current Placements' to apply directly.