In the News
Health and Safety Curriculum Program Advisor and Trainer
The Importance of the Role:
This is a challenging and exciting position for someone who wants to play an important role supporting both Guyana and Guyanese workers to advance their health and safety knowledge and standards to become more competitive actors in industry and the global economy.
The Health & Safety Curriculum Program Advisor and Trainer will play an important role in the finalization, certification and implementation of a Health & Safety curriculum that is being developed for a pilot project. The curriculum will be implemented at vocational training institutions.
The Objective of the Role:
The first part of this placement will involve reviewing and finalizing the Health & Safety curriculum that was developed by a previous Cuso volunteer. The second part of this placement will involve implementing the curriculum. This involves training lecturers in curriculum delivery and working through the curriculum certification process with educational institutions. The volunteer will also conduct an assessment of the program partnership objectives; they will assess where the partnership began, where it currently stands and where it is going in order to validate and/or revise partnership objectives.
The Volunteer We Are Looking For:
The successful Health & Safety Curriculum Program Advisor and Trainer will have a unique blend of skills and knowledge. They will have knowledge of industry and health and safety standards, curriculum and certification. They will have experience designing and delivering training. They will have the ability to build relationships with diverse stakeholders. They will be diplomatic, patient and tactful which will support their success dealing with changing and sometimes conflicting priorities, schedules, needs and interests and with challenges associated with bureaucratic structures.
- Review the Health & Safety Training Curriculum
- Train lecturers in the delivery of the Health & Safety curriculum
- Work with the Ministry of Education and the Council for Technical and Vocational Education Training to certify the curriculum
- Develop partnerships with relevant stakeholders that are essential to the successful implementation of the Health & Safety curriculum
- Consult with management, Linden Technical Institute staff and other stakeholders to carry out an organizational assessment
- Requirements needed for the Health and Safety Curriculum Program Advisor and Trainer opportunity:
- Canadian Health and Safety certification or its equivalent
- Instructing or classroom experience
- Experience working within challenging bureaucratic structures
- Experience designing training workshops
- Experience in curriculum development
- Experience in building and maintaining partnerships and relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Experience conducting assessments of projects/programs and developing recommendations based on assessment findings
Other helpful education and experience backgrounds would include:
- Experience working in the skilled trades sector
- Experience working with industry
- Experience training adults/ professionals
- Experience working in a developing country
The Benefits of Volunteering with Cuso International:
Cuso International will help you with and provide you with the following for your placement.
- Return airfare and visa/permit costs
- Accommodation while overseas
- A modest living allowance during your placement
- Modest support for an accompanying partner and dependants who accompany you for placements of twelve (12) months or more
- Any costs related to required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program during your placement period and upon your return home
- Your travel and accommodation costs for Cuso International’s re-integration weekend
About Cuso International:
Cuso International is a development organization that works to reduce poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships and compassionate donors. They envision a world where all people are able to realize their potential, develop their skills and participate fully in society. They believe in the power of people, value diversity and take responsibility for their actions and proactively demonstrate that they work with and on behalf of others. Cuso International works in developing countries across the world and currently has programs in eighteen countries.
Other Important Information:
Only open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
For more information about the role and the partner organization, please visit Cuso International’s “Current Placements” job board and view the individual posting for this role, or click on the URL included in this posting if present.
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, the volunteer might be required to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement.
If You Are Interested, We Want To Hear From You:
To apply for this position, please visit http://www.cusointernational.org and click on the 'Volunteer' tab, then the 'Current Placements' to apply directly.